The detailed glasses fitting procedure
Fitting the glasses
When you place an order for presbyopia glasses, rest glasses or prescription glasses on our website www.varionet.com, we check the frame and the lenses to see if there are any manufacturing problems: defective welding, damaged acetate plastic, surface treatment of the lenses, no scratches... Then we proceed with the assembly and then the shipment .
Glasses mounting procedure
– Pointing glasses : whether it is a decreasing lens or a rest lens, we will check, using a fronto-focusometer, that the power of the lens corresponds to your order or your prescription and mark the optical center of the lens.
– Frame probing : this operation is done with a probe which will be inserted in the bezel of the frame to scan the shape of the 2 circles on the right and on the left. For nylor or drilled frames, we will only feel the caliber of a lens.
– Centering and suction : the feeler is connected to a centering device on which the shape of the mount is displayed. We record the different parameters to be taken into account: client's pupillary distance, mounting height, type of lens, frame, type of grinding to be performed... we can thus position the lens correctly and suction it using a mounting suction cup and a double-sided sticker for trimming.
– Lens grinding : with a machine equipped with different wheels (one for each material) we proceed to the size of the lenses. All previously recorded data is transmitted to the machine. She checks that the diameter, the thickness of the glass allow this step. The glass will go over a roughing wheel and then over a finishing wheel with finer grains depending on its material.
Depending on the mount chosen, the grinding will not be the same:
- bevel for fully rimmed frames
- creasing for semi-rim frames with nylon thread or metallic thread
- flat bevel for rimless frames
The lens is shaped like the frame.
– Counter-bevel : We make a counter-bevel with a hand finishing wheel. The goal is to break the edges of the glass so that it is not sharp and this avoids unsightly splinters.
– Assembly : The mounting of the lenses is different depending on the material of the eyeglasses:
- for plastic frames : we heat the glasses in order to soften the material and to be able to clip the glasses on it.
- for metal frames: we check that the curvature of the metal circle is identical to that of the lens and using a screwdriver, we open the frame to position the lenses.
- for nylon frames: with a plastic tab, we catch the nylon thread in order to insert it into the groove of the glass.
- for drilled frames: with a precision drill we drill the mounting holes and then we mount the branches and bridge with screwdriver, screw and nut with plastic chimneys.
- Verification : the assembly is finished, we iron the glasses on the focimeter in order to check the powers and the centering of the glasses.
- Repair : after mounting the frames are often a little deformed; it is a question of checking that the lenses are in the same plane, the temples and plates symmetrical, that the glasses close correctly.
- Cleaning : last operation to remove all fingerprints, marks on the glasses…
And here are your reading or resting glasses ready for delivery!