Covid, confinement, teleworking: how to maintain good visual health
Suite au reconfinement et aux demandes gouvernementales, nombreux sont ceux qui travaillent depuis leur salon ou leur chambre. C’est ainsi que les yeux sont rivés sur les divers producteurs de lumière bleue : écran de téléphone, ordinateur, télévision… A force de fixer toute la journée ces écrans peut être néfaste notre santé physique, mentale et pour nos yeux, organes essentiels de notre équilibre.
C’est pourquoi il est indispensable de prendre soin de vos yeux afin de soulager le stress oculaire et la fatigue visuelle engendrés.
Blue light blocking glasses: additional protection against artificial light
Bon à savoir : la lumière artificielle "traditionnelle" au tungstène émettait principalement des rayonnements rouges.
Can returning to work cause eyestrain?
Travail, rentrée et fatigue oculaire
Le mois de septembre est là, synonyme de rentrée et ceci est le signe que les vacances sont belles et bien terminées ! L’été se termine et l’automne pointe le bout de son nez. Nous devons nous adapter aux jours qui raccourcissent et il est courant que la fatigue visuelle apparaisse. Fini la farniente, les petites siestes, la routine du quotidien est de retour avec les longues heures passées devant les appareils numériques et la paperasse.
The return of eye fatigue
La rentrée arrive et vos yeux sont déjà fatigués !
Les lumières se suivent et ne se ressemblent pas : après le plein de vitamine A au soleil arrivent les rayons de la lumière bleue émis par votre ordinateur, smartphone et autres appareils numériques.
La lumière bleue, tout le monde en parle; elle est présente partout ! Tout d'abord dans la lumière naturelle émise par le soleil, dans ce cas une exposition "normale" est vivement conseillée pour ses effets bénéfiques pour l'humain.
For a timeless style, adopt CHLOÉ glasses
Chloé, a pioneering brand !
Chloé is a French brand created by Gaby Aghion in 1952 to dress modern and active women.
Chloé combines the requirements of haute couture with those of ready-to-wear. It is the precursor of luxury ready-to-wear. Her clothes are supple, Mediterranean-inspired with natural, fluid and refined colors. Beautiful silk, lace or chiffon fabrics are used for original models.
How do I know if I have a visual problem? Take the test!
Undetected visual fault:
Many of us have a visual problem even sometimes without realizing it! For some, this visual deficit may be slight and following daily activities barely noticeable. On the other hand, for others, it is more important, but these people who have become accustomed to "seeing badly" think that they see well!
Extremely weak eyesight problems are common. The eye and brain get used to this deficiency, which is why the vast majority go uncorrected. But most of these people suffer from side effects: headaches, trouble concentrating, itchy eyes...
How do I know if I can't see well:
Here is a quick little test in which we will ask you a few simple questions to find out if you have excellent eyesight or if you should consult an ophthalmologist.
- A. When I drive, I see traffic signs
- From a distance, I have no problem.
- I have to wait a bit to see them clearly.
- I don't see them until I'm on their level, it's a big effort
- B. Reading a book or looking at the phone...:
- I can see it well at 35-40 cm.
- I have to get him away, it's hard for me to see him up close.
- I have to bring it close to my face to see it well.
- C. When I study or spend some time in front of a computer, when I read:
- I see well, but I get tired and often have headaches
- I see blurry, I tire very quickly and work requires a lot of effort.
- I have no problem seeing well.
- D. I watch television:
- Very close to see the screen well.
- I don't care, I can see pretty well from almost everywhere.
- I am not too far nor not too close.
- E. When doing precision work:
- Usually I have a headache.
- I have no difficulty seeing.
- I have trouble seeing up close.
- A. 1) 0 2) 2 3) 5
- B. 1) 0 2) -5 3) 5
- C. 1) 2 2) -5 3) 0
- D. 1) 5 2) 0 3) 2
- E. 1) - 2 2) 0 3) -5
Results: now add or subtract the points from each answer.
If the total is negative you have a tendency to farsightedness , ie you have difficulty seeing near objects. However, your eye manages to compensate for this problem, which causes headaches, eye fatigue and often difficulty concentrating.
If the total is positive you are certainly myopic ; people with myopia have difficulty seeing from afar and have excellent near vision.
The difference between farsightedness and presbyopia explained
The need for anti-reflective glasses
Why Buy Anti-Glare Glasses?
Anti-reflective lens technology helps eliminate light reflections that interfere with vision . Light sources, whether natural or artificial, cause reflections on the glasses which can be uncomfortable for our eyes, reduce the quality of our vision and are disturbing for our interlocutor who sees himself as in a mirror...
As such, a survey conducted on visual health shows that 75 to 80% of spectacle wearers prefer to wear anti-reflective glasses. However, only 58% are willing to bear the additional cost of these treatments.
Certainly, if they were better informed about the advantages of this type of glasses, they would bet on this purchase, since the visual quality will ostensibly improve.
What are the benefits of anti-reflective glasses?
- They reduce eyestrain and avoid problems such as itchy eyes, red eyes, itching...
- Unlike simple glasses, scratches, micro-scratches occur less.
- They improve the contrast: the colors, the contours are clearer.
- They make the glasses easier to clean. Most treatments usually incorporate a hydrophobic and dirt-repellent filter. Thus , the droplets are less annoying.
- They reduce reflections and glare during night driving caused by other cars' headlights, as well as ambient lighting. With anti-glare more safe driving! Remember that 90% of the information we use while driving comes from vision. It is therefore essential that they are as perfect as possible.
- They eliminate almost all reflections (up to 99%). Thus, they are more transparent not only for the user, but also for the interlocutor.
- If you work in front of a computer, choose blue light blocking glasses . Their specific treatment will eliminate screen reflections, protect your eyes from the harmful effects of blue light and allow you to be more efficient. Some errors may be due to thoughts that trouble us for reading and especially less fatigue at the end of the day.
And a downside: the price?
The only downside is the price, as these glasses are a bit more expensive than the basic ones. Even so, it is worth choosing a less expensive frame and investing in anti-reflective lenses that will undoubtedly improve our visual quality and ocular comfort .
On Varionet we offer you for only 30€ extra on all our reading glasses * a powerful anti-reflective anti-blue light treatment.
Digital era and eyestrain
Computer glasses for presbyopia and the digital age
Digital devices are part of everyday life which induces a redistribution of the five senses; Indeed hearing, taste, touch and smell lose importance compared to sight .
It is common for users of digital screens (smartphones, tablets, computers , e-readers) to experience visual discomfort related to fatigue : tearing, headaches, feeling of heaviness, blurred or fluctuating vision, irritated eyes, neck pain and back, feeling of dust in the eyes, etc.
One of these symptoms bothers you, you can blame your devices!
Nearly 90% of users spend two or more hours looking at a digital device per day. One in 10 people spend nearly 75% of their waking hours staring at a screen, and our eyes aren't made for that!
After 40 years with the onset of presbyopia, focusing in near vision is increasingly complex, it generates problematic reading and eye fatigue which is accentuated by the use of screens and blue light emissions. Not handling these tools has become impossible, which is why we offer you some solutions to relieve this fatigue
- The 20/20 rule: every 20 minutes, take a 20-second break while looking away
- Position your screen correctly to avoid reflections and induced glare.
- Place your screen a good distance from your eyes: the palm of your hand should touch the screen with your arm extended.
- Wear special computer and anti-blue light reading glasses :
Varionet offers computer glasses equipped with degressive lenses designed for digital life. With corrections from +1.00 to +3.50, these are the ideal computer glasses for presbyopia, you can read, see your screen or your colleague with a single pair of glasses ! For more comfort, opt for the Cool Blue anti-blue light anti-reflective coating. Anti-blue light presbyopic glasses improve contrast, reduce visual fatigue, protect you from UV and toxic blue-violet radiation.
Whatever your desires, your budget, you will find the pair of computer reading glasses that suits you...
To start the new school year off right
Conseils pour un Bien-être visuel pour une bonne rentrée étudiante.
Votre bien-être visuel est la condition sine qua non de votre réussite étudiante ? Voici quelques conseils pour bien commencer votre année scolaire.
Préparer son bien-être visuel avant la rentrée
Foods that are good for your eyesight!
Good food for good eyesight!
We think of paying attention to what we eat to improve nail growth or to have shiny and healthy hair, but our eyes are often neglected!
Yet they also require that we take care of (y)them , starting with what we put on our plates.
A good diet makes it possible to avoid all sorts of inconveniences due to certain deficiencies , such as AMD (age-related degeneration), glaucoma or quite simply to avoid worsening an already existing sight problem .
To begin with, a balanced and varied diet helps maintain a healthy overall lifestyle.
Here is our pick of the best foods for healthy eyes:
These are polyunsaturated fatty acids that are necessary for the proper functioning of the human body but that it cannot produce by itself. They must therefore be found in the foods we eat. They are present in large quantities in nuts, chia seeds, flax seeds, in shrimp and in fatty fish such as herring, salmon, sardines, etc.
Vitamins A, B, C and E:
- Vitamin A is one of the molecules that make up the retina , it helps protect the cornea. It becomes very useful during conjunctivitis, glaucoma, cataracts or major vision problems , indeed a vitamin A deficiency would cause total blindness .
Vitamin A is found in calf's liver, carrots, broccoli, spinach...
- Vitamin B improves eyesight and prevents its decline , especially the "sub-vitamin" B2, riboflavin.
It is found in abundance in foods of animal origin such as cheese, eggs, meat or fish. It is also found in green vegetables such as spinach, asparagus or even in cereals or brewer's yeast.
- Vitamin C plays an important role in reducing the risk of cataracts and AMD . Indeed, the retina and the lens are bathed in a fluid with a very high vitamin C content . It is therefore necessary to ingest vitamin C to allow a good balance.
Vitamin C is easy to find in large quantities: in citrus fruits, red fruits such as blueberries or blackberries, broccoli, peppers...
- Vitamin E would have a protective effect against AMD and cataracts . It would reduce the progression of these disorders .
A daily dose of it by eating for example almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, avocados, etc. would provide protection against these diseases.
It is a very good element in the preservation of your sight and the good health of your eyes , it is found in cocoa, wheat germ, eggs, cashew nuts.
In order to have healthy eyes, integrating these foods into a balanced diet is the solution. When the good weather arrives, it is easy to find many fresh products rich in vitamins and minerals. It is also possible to take food supplements to complete a varied and balanced diet. But like everything, be careful with the doses taken, an overdose would cause negative side effects.
Foods to avoid:
A diet too rich in omega-6 including too many vegetable oils, seeds, eggs or certain meats would tend to cancel the effects of omega-3.
Processed foods of industrial origin which have little nutritional value and therefore no vitamins, minerals, necessary for the functioning of the body in general.
An unhealthy body will lead to vision problems as you age.
Yoga to reduce eyestrain
Sitting in front of the computer for 8-12 hours can have different impacts on your body. One of the first discomforts suffered is eye fatigue , followed by headaches and backaches . By performing simple yoga exercises regularly, you can effectively reduce those discomforts that come with prolonged computer use.
A study was conducted in a software development company in India, it was requested with the help of 300 participants. Half had to include yoga practice in their daily work routine, while the others were placed on a waiting list as a 'control' group. For two months, the “yoga” group practiced different yoga exercises for one hour a day for five days a week. On the other hand, the control group pursued other recreational activities during the same time allocated to the yoga group.
At the start of the study, each participant rated the genes and level of discomfort related to eyestrain .
At the end of the study, eye strain discomforts were found to be significantly reduced in the “yoga” group, while the control group reported no significant changes in their eye problem.
The yoga group noted improvements in the following symptoms:
- shooting eyes
- Blurred vision
- dry eyes
The researchers reported that the significant improvement in eye strain in the yoga group was caused by increased relaxation. When the human body is in a relaxed state, the eyes instinctively blink more often , reducing eye strain.
If you, too, are considering performing some simple yoga exercises to reduce eye strain, here's the program for the study:
- 10 minutes of regulated breathing
- 15 minutes of yoga posture
- 10 minute visual exercises
- 10 minute joint exercises
- 15 minute guided relaxation
You can choose to perform an abbreviated version of these yoga exercises during lunch breaks, before you start work, or whenever you feel the need.
Yoga exercises for the eyes:
Here are the specific eye exercises that have been shown to be very effective in reducing eye strain:
Sit down and start moving your eyes by moving your gaze in 8 different directions. Use your thumb to direct your gaze, following these instructions:
- Up down
- Counter-clockwise rotation
- Clockwise rotation
The flame :
For this exercise, you will need a candle. Place the lit candle at eye level. Start by staring at the flame, without blinking. After a minute, begin to de-focus and look at various points further away than the flame. Perform the exercise several times.
Sitting in your chair, rub your hands together to warm your palms. When they are hot, close your eyes and place both hands on them. This will block external light sources and allow the eyes to absorb heat from your hand. Take 10 deep, relaxing breaths and repeat the exercise if necessary.
To further enhance the positive effects of these exercises, wear blue light blocking glasses when you are in front of your screens!